Why We Fight

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. Ronald Reagan

Friday, June 19, 2009

To Those Who Advocate

I am sick and tired of it. Nay, I am sick and tired of them. Just the other day a girl told a friend of mine-at church no less- that he wasn’t “open-minded” because he opposes Obama, a man who supports genocidal beliefs. Why is it people who are capable of making up their minds and then standing on their chosen principles are told that they aren’t “open-minded”? Someone saying they are “open-minded” is just a disguise for their cowardice and inability to make a choice. It is also a great disguise for their ability to over look sin so they can justify their choices.
There is something else that puzzles me. How can people who profess to be followers of Jesus Christ (yeah, the dude who came to save EVERYONE) support politicians who think that it is okay to dismember babies while they are in the womb? Why do they kick and scream like petulant toddlers when the government doesn’t tax the rich enough and not go into a fit of holy rage when a doctor in Florida cuts the umbilical cord of a baby-one that has come out of the womb-and lets it bleed to death because of a mother’s “right to choose”? Where is their anger over the fact that a baby was murdered?
My bewilderment doesn’t stop there. It puzzles me more when I consider that “Christians” actually support a President who voted against the Born Alive Act. Excuse me. He abstained from voting on that one, which is just a disguise for cowardice and impotence. The Born Alive Act would have made it mandatory that doctors give immediate medical attention to babies who survive abortions. Obama, even while abstaining from voting, said that voting for it would harm a woman’s “right to choose” (i.e., it would be a stepping stone to over-turning Roe v. Wade). Hey, “Christians”. Where are you now? Did you know that? Of course you did. It was plastered all over the news!
It is estimated that between 40 and 50 million babies have been aborted since Roe v. Wade was decided. Some people just pass by that number without so much as batting an eye. That sad fact reminds me of what Hitler said: the bigger the number the less likely people are to believe it. Let that sink in: 40 to 50 million babies have been butchered, dismembered, burned to death with saline, and had a tube rammed into the back of their heads with the express purpose of sucking out their brains all because it was determined that making abortion illegal infringed on a woman’s right to privacy. The support of abortion alone is disgusting, but it is even more abhorrent that Christians vote for politicians who support it!
I am also disgusted by politicians who say “I hate abortion, but it is the law of the land.” Tax evasion is also illegal, and they have no qualms about going after tax cheats, but stopping wholesale slaughter would step on the “right to choose”. Where in the world are our priorities? It is pathetic when money comes before innocent life. Wait a minute. I recall something about loving money being the root of ALL evil. Now I remember! Those were the words of Jesus. I guess those “Christians” over looked that verse.
The day my wife and I found out that we were having a baby girl we were told, very casually, that she had an issue that might cause cystic fibrosis. We were terrified. Our hearts sunk. What do you do in a situation like that? To be fair, while our doctor wasn’t all that emotionally supportive, she did encourage us by telling us that medical innovations had made it possible for people with cystic fibrosis to live fruitful lives as long as a.) It was caught early, and b.) It was treated effectively. That was somewhat relieving, but nothing could comfort our “what ifs”. But the part that struck me the most was that in situations like that people actually choose to kill their babies because they didn’t want them to suffer the potential possibility that they might live with a debilitating disease. They also choose to do the same when the baby is the result of a rape, incest, pre-marital sex, the chance of the child being retarded etc. So let me get this straight. A baby, through no fault of their own, has to DIE because of something it has no control of? No, that’s a farce. It’s because women and men don’t want to be inconvenienced. Pathetic, absolutely pathetic.
Christ, through the Apostle Paul, told us to think of others before ourselves. He told us to be humble before God, and to lift those up who can’t do it themselves. I guess for some people that only includes the homeless, impoverished, unemployed, and those who suffer due to sexism, racism, and homophobia. It is disgusting that those same courtesies aren’t extended to the unborn. Treating people with contempt because of the aforementioned reasons is also disgusting, but they suffer only because they were allowed to be born. They have the ability to do something about their situation. The child that is murdered in the womb, half-way out, or even completely out don’t even get that chance. The absolutely horrifying and appalling thing is that “Christians” know what Jesus says yet they completely ignore it. How can “Christians” support people who are willing to destroy that which is “knit together in their mother’s womb” (paraphrased) as well as “fearfully and wonderfully made”? Simple: they don’t care. To take a stand would mean that they would have to forfeit friends, influence, and political affiliations. If they can’t even speak out and act for innocent babies, which they themselves once were, they need to quit calling themselves “Christians”.
I know no one is perfect, and I know that people suffer from their choices everyday. I am no different. I have had my share of sins and struggles, and if I said that I was purified of all my temptations then I would lying, and the truth would not be in me. However, to continue in horrible actions will bring terrifying consequences. Life is too fragile to sacrifice it on the altar of “freedom of choice”.
Now, I could appeal to all the other senses that would possibly change minds, but that would be futile because it would miss the mark. Why? Because those senses have been dulled almost to the point that they can’t be revived, and because it has nothing to do with synapses and emotions. It has to do with the heart. People who call themselves “Christians” can scoff at that if they want to. That’s fine with me. It’s their “choice”, but their bucket of choice won’t hold an ounce of exemption when it is placed on the scales of justice and mercy that belong to God. People can ignore it if they want to, but ignorance won’t be an excuse when we all give an account.
Our rights end where our responsibilities begin, and we have no greater responsibility than to protect the unborn. If you don’t want them, give them to me. I would rather spend my life broke and exhausted from work knowing that I provided for 100 kids who I helped save than to suffer the guilt and shame of being unrepentant over one life that I didn’t help give a chance at “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.” The last thing I would want to see when I stand before God are the faces of millions upon millions of babies who I had no desire to protect. It would be even sadder to hear them ask “why?” What will your answer be? Tears won’t cut it at that point. They will want an answer, and whether you like it or not you will have to give one.
Lastly, remember this: “Abortion is advocated only by persons who have themselves been born.” Ronald Reagan said that. People can call him a dim-witted idiot, but at least he was right on one point: you can only support slaughter when you have that choice (i.e. when you have been born).
Note: If you don’t believe any of the details of abortion that I have mentioned above, or even stated about Obama they are easily found on the internet. Look them up. I dare you to take the chance on having your heart moved to and into change.

No comments: